July 4th should be a day of fun and celebration, but it is also one of the most dangerous days of the year. You can keep your Independence Day fun and safe when you follow the proper safety tips. Whatever your plans are for this holiday, be sure you remember these safety tips.
1. Remember the importance of fireworks safety: Fireworks are illegal in most cities and they are a fire hazard. Outside city zones where you are allowed to use fireworks, there is still the danger of fire and also of bodily injury. Always read all instructions properly and do not use near wooded or dry areas.
2. Always have water available to put out any sparks or flame that may occur when using fireworks.
3. Never point fireworks at people.
4. Do not allow children to play with fireworks or firecrackers.
5. Don’t drink and drive. Always have a designated driver and don’t let your friends drive drunk.
6. Be extra cautious on the road. Even if you are not drinking, other people can be. Drivers also become distracted by fireworks and other excitement in the area. Be extra cautious if you must be on the road this weekend, especially at night.
7. Be careful during barbecues that you do not start a fire. Be sure all coals are completely out before leaving the barbecue unattended. Be cautious of children playing around the barbecue area.
8. Store food properly to avoid food poisoning. Be careful of leaving food out- especially in the heat.
9. Remember to drink responsibly and to serve foods at the proper temperature.
10. Also, if you have pets, remember pet safety too. Don’t let your beloved pet become a casualty this 4th of July.
Statistics show that over 7,000 people each year get treated for 4th of July related accidents. Don’t be one of them. Stay safe this year.